Monday, January 18, 2010

Oatmeal

I always tried to eat instant oatmeal because it was "good for you". The fiber, the "heart-healthy grains", supposedly filling... Either way, I found oatmeal boring and was often hungry right after. I didn't realize the problem wasn't the food itself, but me. I was doing it wrong.

Enter the star: Rolled Oats.

I understand that may not look all that appetizing because at this point
I had shoveled down about half and had been mushing it around to get all the flavors.

I came across a new blog 2 weeks ago called Kath Eats Real Food and she has a tribute to oatmeal. I thought I'd check it out since obviously any one who actually likes the mushy, sticky mess of oatmeal is crazy. The tribute has about a hundred different styles of oatmeal, all containing the basic ingredient "rolled oats". I thought I'd give oatmeal one last try, this time using the real deal, oatmeal that doesn't take a minute in the microwave! I even made apple cinnamon muffins to crumble on top (that was a rare ambitious weekend). I made my rolled oats with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water and topped it with a teaspoon of TJ's organic creamy peanut butter, TJ's Golden Berry Blend (dried golden raisins, cherries, cranberries, and blueberries) a sprinkle of shredded coconut and the top of one of my small apple cinnamon muffins.

It. was. delicious.

So forget instant oatmeal - it takes a minute compared to the 5 minutes that rolled oats oatmeal takes, and I think that 4 minutes is well worth the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment